Hammond BayOn the side of a ridge perched above the ocean, Hammond Bay is a quiet residential area with expansive views of the water and distant mountains. In spite of the high density of newer homes along Hammond Bay Road, there’s still a feeling of being secluded in nature thanks to gorgeous seaside green spaces and the absence of commercial development.
For quick hikes and stunning sunset views, the neighbourhood’s Neck Point Park and Pipers Lagoon are favourites. Some of Nanaimo’s most exclusive neighbourhoods are in the Hammond Bay area: Rocky Point, Stephenson Point and Oakridge. From here, shopping is within a 10-minute drive.
- Rutherford Elementary
- McGirr Elementary
- Randerson Ridge Elementary
- Ecole Hammond Bay Elementary (French immersion)
- Dover Bay Secondary School (academies – baseball & performing arts)
Parks & Recreation
- Neck Point Park – waterfront trail with rocky cliffs and pebbly beaches
- Pipers Lagoon – trail along beach to rocky headland
- Walley Creek Trail – 2km paved trail behind several homes
- Linley Valley Park – wilderness park with valleys, ponds and knolls
- Sugarloaf Mountain Park – Departure Bay overlook
Shops & Services
- Woodgrove Centre – The Bay, Wal-Mart
- Nanaimo North Town Centre – Canadian Tire, Lowes, & London Drugs
- Home Depot
- Brickyard Medical Centre
- Library – North Nanaimo branch
- Hospital: 13 min.
- Downtown: 17 min.
- South end: 22 min.
- Vancouver Island University: 21 min.
- Nanaimo Airport: 29 min.