Brechin HillRising up from the Departure Bay ferry terminal waterfront, the Brechin Hill neighbourhood is a mix of character homes – from California bungalows to West Coast style – with large windows and decks that maximize views of the bay and Newcastle Island. At the bottom of the steep roads are sailboats moored at numerous marinas.
Residents enjoy walking and biking along the harbourfront walkway that runs from the foot of Brechin Hill along Stewart Avenue to the adjacent downtown core. That stretch is a busy hub for float planes, ferries, fishing boats and kayaks. Schools, parks and shopping centres line the top of the hill in this neighbourhood.
- Brechin Elementary
- Cilaire Elementary
- Pauline Haarer Elementary (French immersion)
- Quarterway Elementary (French immersion)
- Nanaimo District Secondary School (French immersion; academies – hockey, soccer, lacrosse & beach volleyball)
Parks & Recreation
- Beach Estates Park – ravine, waterfall & hiking trails
- Newcastle Island Provincial Park – forest trails, beaches and campsites
- Maffeo Sutton Park – playground, lagoon beach, concert/festival venue, harbourfront walkway
- Brechin Boat Ramp – kayak rentals, boat launch
- Departure Bay – beach, playground & splash park
- Bowen Park – waterfall, trails, outdoor pool, disc golf, tennis courts, sand volleyball
Shops & Services
- Brooks Landing – Home Hardware, Staples, Save On Foods
- Terminal Park – Dollar Store, Starbucks, Cobs Bread, Nesvog Meats
- Caledonian Clinic
- Library – Downtown branch
- Hospital: 3 min.
- Downtown: 7 min.
- North end: 15 min.
- Vancouver Island University: 11 min.
- Nanaimo Airport: 19 min.